On October 27, 1946 St. Luke’s began as a mission church of St. Brendan’s Parish in Riverside, RI. Just five years after its mission beginnings, St. Luke’s Mission became St. Luke’s Church. By the 1950′s it was well established as a separate parish. The appointment of Father O’Gara as pastor in 1955 began a period of growth and his dream of a parochial school became a reality in 1956 with the purchase of land across the street from the church. Within two years, ground was broken for the new school. It opened in 1958 with 225 students in five grades. Within three years, all eight grades were filled.
St. Luke’s School was originally staffed by the Sisters of the Cross and Passion. For twenty-five years these dedicated sisters served the people of St. Luke’s and helped the school develop its excellent reputation. In 1993 and again in 2004, St. Luke’s School was recognized by the Department of Education as an exemplary school and received the prestigious Blue Ribbon School Award.
The preschool facility opened in 1994 and is housed in the original convent building. The National Catholic Educators Association honored our preschool by asking the preschool faculty to participate in the 2005 Conference of Selected Programs for Improving Catholic Education where we were recognized as one of the best early childhood programs in the country.
Our current pastor, Fr. Robert Hawkins, continues the tradition of his predecessors Fr. William Jenkinson, Monsignor Ferland and Monsignor O’Gara who provided the vision, support and love which helped St. Luke’s School grow to become a nationally recognized school of excellence.